The Tina Hydropower Development Project, on behalf of the Solomon Island Government, is recruiting for an experienced Environmental & Social Safeguards Manager. This is a full time Position based in Honiara, Solomon Islands for an initial period of 2 years with expected opportunity to renew up to a period of 5 years subject to performance. There will be an initial probation period of 6 months. International applicants are also encouraged to apply.
- Manage the PO’s safeguard team and Consultants to ensure that SIG’s safeguard requirements on the project and financing agreements are fulfilled.
- Prepare, review and approve all safeguard documentation for all project works to ensure that they remain in compliant to the lender’s requirements.
- Monitor THL safeguard and labour obligations through consultation with Ministry of Environment, Climate Change and Disaster Management (MECCDM). This will involve designing a monitoring plan with MECCDM, Lender’s Technical Advisor (LTA) and the concessional financiers.
- Manage the implementation of the SIG safeguard obligations. This includes supervising staff in the implementation of the land Acquisition and resettlement action plan, gender action plan, environmental and social management plans.
- Manage SIG’s social obligations related to the project’s land arrangements. This includes ensuring that the 5 land tribal cooperatives are well administered, the Tina Core Land Company (TCLC) continues to fulfil its obligations under the Land lease agreement, work with the traditional landowners to reach an agreement in the protection of the project’s upper catchment.
- Support the Community Benefit Share Project (CBSP) by providing guidance on the safeguard requirements of CBSP project.
- Support the project communication team in the preparation of project fact sheet for media releases, facebook posts, website articles, and radio segments etc. as relevant to health or environmental and social issues.
- University degree in environmental management, social sciences, environmental law or similar, with a minimum of 8 years post qualification experience.
- Experience preparing or reviewing safeguard documentation including Environmental and Social Impact Assessments or environment and social management plans.
- Experience implementing or monitoring compliance with environmental or social safeguard documentation, with experience in infrastructure and/or hydro projects preferred.
- Ability to build strong stakeholder relationships, and proven tenacity to influence developers or private stakeholders to achieve safeguard outcomes.
- Ability to manage a complex project, work to deadlines and establish procedures for monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to manage a team, build professional skills, and set and monitor tasks and sub-projects
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including in a culturally diverse or multi-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to recruit, engage and manage external contractors.
- Experience in community consultation or engagement, with experience in Solomon Islands or Pacific context preferred and ability to speak or willingness to learn Solomon Islands’ Pidjin.
- Willingness to learn new skills and take on novel challenges, and a passion for development project delivery.
- Ability to review and manage contracts and advise on corporate governance obligations.
- Familiarity with Solomon Islands’ environment and land laws and environmental consents beneficial.
This is an international full-time Position based in Honiara, Solomon Islands for an initial period of 2 years with the expected opportunity to renew up to a period of 5 years subject to performance. There will be an initial probation period of 6 months. Housing allowance and annual international airfare will be provided.
How to apply
Full Curriculum Vitae, cover letter detailing suitability for the position and expected remuneration to:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Mines, Energy and Rural Electrification
P O Box G37 Honiara
Email: [email protected]
Copy of the complete application documents to
Deputy Project Manager
Tina Hydro Project Office
Level 1 Anthony Saru Building,
Email: [email protected]
Applications close 29 May 2020, 16:30 Solomon Islands time